Monday, May 6, 2013

Autoimmune Paleo Protocol day 4: To goitrogen or not to goitrogen?

 To goitrogen or not to goitrogen? 

That is the question of the day. Oh how I love my broccoli, brussels sprouts, and kale! Do I have to give them up to protect my thyroid? Yes and no. A goitrogen is a substance found mainly in cruciferous vegetables as well as other varieties. Goitrogens interfere with uptake of iodine in the thyroid and can result in thyroid suppression and cause goiters. Good news is I have no symptoms of a goiter, but I know I eat way too many goitrogenic foods on a daily basis. I sometimes wonder if that effects me. I'm embarking on this journey to heal my thyroid amongst other health issues--so it seems like no better time to pay attention to my intake of goitrogenic vegetables.

Here is a list of goitrogen containing foods:

bok choy
broccoli
brussels sprouts
cabbage
cauliflower
garden kress
kale
kohlrabi
mustard
mustard greens
radishes
rutabagas
soy
soy milk
soybean oil
soy lecithin
soy anything
tempeh
tofu
turnips


Also included in the goitrogen category, even if mildly, are:

bamboo shoots
millet
peaches
peanuts
pears
pine nuts
radishes
spinach
strawberries
sweet potatoes

Many of these vegetables are amongst my favorite...for the next month I plan to limit and be conscious of the amount I am consuming. This journey is an experiment and I want to figure out the optimal diet for me.

This podcast from the ladies over at Balanced Bites will provide more information on soy, goitrogens, and hypothyroid.


 Evolution Fresh is the new juice company from the Starbucks Company. I saw this Essential Greens at Whole Foods yesterday so I decided to pick one up! A cold-pressed juice for $4.99, sign my up. Not organic, but I'll pick one up in a rush.


On the menu this morning: grass-fed beef tips with sauteed onion, garlic, ginger, brussels sprouts and kale--all over cauliflower! The goitrogens, oh no! 


 I had some broccoli sprouts on the counter, so after a quick run/walk, I blended a hand full in some water with lemon. A great pick me up. 
I had lunch with a friend at a local fish market. I had a salad topped with pan seared Idaho Trout. It was a nice light lunch and so fun to catch up with my friend! We were too busy gabbing for me to remember to snap a photo;)


 I came home from a busy afternoon and decided to fry up a ripe plantain in some coconut oil and made an aioli for dipping.


 I enjoyed a local blueberry & green tea Kombucha from the farmer's market. If you can't tell, I'm obsessed with this glass at the moment.


I decided on a meatless dinner and kept it light with a green medley of romaine, red lettuce, sorrel, parsley, cilantro, sunflower sprouts topped with summer squash--all fresh from the farmers market. I used the left over aioli as my dressing.

Basil Aioli

     1 small zucchini, peeled and chopped
1/2 avocado
2 cloves garlic
6-7 basil leaves
2-3 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Table spoons olive oil (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Place the ingredients in a blender and let it work its magic! This aioli/dressing is great on salads or as a dip.


A warning to the wise: I made vegetable broth in my crock pot today. When I do this I usually let it cool before I put it in the fridge--to speed up the process I like to put the jar of broth in an ice bath. I guess I didn't let it cool enough before the ice bath because the jar broke the second it hit the water!! I was soooo mad! All my hard work down the drain...maybe it's a sign I should go ahead and make bone broth again?

Oh well, that's life. I sipped on a few cups before my mishap.
I'm thinking a coconut chai before bed--sounds like a great night cap.

"The greatest healing therapy is friendship and love" --Hubert M. Humphrey



2 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't imagine giving all those things up. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not the worst, but giving up coffee is:( Thanks for the luck--I'll need it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love below.